Increase Your Deal-Making Skills To Secure The Salary That You Deserve – Learn To Recognize Negotiations and Achieve Excellent Outcomes In Day-To-Day Situations
Introducing The PhD Negotiation League By Cheeky Scientist
PhD Negotiation League
Take Action To Become A PNL Member And Increase Your Deal-Making Skills During Salary Negotiations And Day-To-Day Situations!
Here’s What You Get Immediate, Lifetime Access To When You Become A PNL Member…
“The PhD Negotiation League program provides a one-stop source for what you need to know before going into a salary negotiation. No matter if it's your first time negotiating salary or if you are experienced and brushing up before the next big career move. Having Don Asher as the program leader adds a lot of value to the program. He has decades of experience in dealmaking, and you will learn something new every time you listen to him.”
“The PNL program offers PhDs a complete set of suggestions on how to navigate the job application process to ensure you have real negotiation power when the time comes to negotiate a job offer. The content is backed by statistics and scientific facts that should convince PhDs that negotiating is the right strategy and you don’t have much to lose by giving it a try. The program offers several resources like visually appealing slides and workbooks with suggested activities that help get the point across without being intimidating. I have personally used Don Asher’s strategy in my professional life and they have work for me, so I’m sure they will work for others.”
“At its core, I feel the PhD Negotiation League (PNL) addresses empowerment. It's the empowerment to feel enabled to advocate for yourself within a business setting, to position yourself competitively within your career track, and to take maximal ownership of your life. For the endless time and effort you've put into transitioning into a career that exhilarates you, this is the final step towards ensuring that nothing was left on the table and that you didn't passively accept mediocrity. Rather, this program will actively equip you to be successful in any negotiation, and allow you to strategically navigate a situation, without compromising any social rapport you've established with your new employer. The content and its concise format will allow you to do just that!”
Develop Your Negotiation Skills In Different Professional Settings with A Targeted Training Program
The PhD Negotiation League
Is Designed for PhDs Who Want To…
- Understand the basics of negotiation and how they apply to the professional setting.
- Ensure they can secure the salary they deserve once they transition into industry, apply for a promotion, or move on to their next job.
- Gain expertise in deal making as a useful transferable skill that can benefit their professional and personal lives.
- Get insights into why you should always negotiate a salary and what are the consequences of not doing so.
- Learn basic and advanced negotiation techniques that will help you get what you want while keeping a good relationship with those you are negotiating with the other party.
- Get familiar with the terminology and approaches commonly used in professional negotiation so you can impress future employers.
Deal Making Is A Valuable Transferable Skill That Will Positively Impact Every Aspect Of Your Life
Your knowledge—or lack thereof—will play a key role in the outcome of your professional negotiations.
You may have a PhD, and you may understand that you need to transition into industry to improve your lifestyle.
But to actually secure a lucrative after you have made the transition, you need to understand the rules of salary negotiation.
Even though you are a valuable candidate for different companies, you have to know how to advocate for yourself at each step of your professional life.
Knowing How To Negotiate Your SalaryWill Have Long Lasting Positive Effect In Your Career
Professional Negotiation Is A Multimillion-Dollar Skill That Many Professionals Lack
- Learning how to negotiate your salary can add up to over $1 Million over the course of a professional career (Business Insider).
- The number one reason high-earners get paid more than low-earners is that they negotiate their salary consistently (Harvard Business Review).
- People (especially women) are more likely to request a higher salary when negotiating for a friend than when negotiating for themselves (Journal of Personality and Social Psychology).
- 74% of hiring managers have room to increase an initial offer by 5-10% during negotiations and 80% of candidates who negotiated their salary are successful (National Society Of Collegiate Scholars).
- Yet only 43% of job seekers reported having negotiated their current salary, and women are less likely to negotiate than men (Payscale).
Benefits And Important Facts About Salary Negotiation
If You’re A PhD Looking To Transition Into Industry, See If You Answer YES To These Questions…
- Do you want to better understand the negotiation tactics used by employers during the hiring process?
- Do you feel uncomfortable about the idea of having to negotiate and advocate for yourself in a professional context?
- Have any of your previous attempts at negotiation failed because you didn’t know what were the right behaviors and mindset you should have during that situation?
- Do you want to ensure that you are paid what you deserve once you get your first industry job?
Investing On Your Deal-Making Skills Can Improve All Aspects Of Your Professional Life
Deal making isn’t something that you will use just when you have to negotiate a salary.
It is a lifelong transferable skill that you will apply one a day to day basis and will make a valuable employee.
Just like any other transferable skills, deal making can be improved through practice.
But successful deal making has specific rules that you need to understand to be successful.
If you want to increase your chances of being successful at deal making, you can’t try to negotiate blindly.
You need detailed information on what approaches to use. During a job search, you can’t afford to look like a desperate candidate that will accept any position and salary. You can’t risk revealing that you don’t know how much the skills that you developed during your PhD is worth in industry.
To avoid blunders like these, you’ll want to know to approach the hiring process with a deal-making mentality from the beginning.
The Key Skills Of Successful Deal Makers…
You might think that the negotiation part of the hiring process starts once you get your offer letter for a position. Yet hiring managers and recruiters start to negotiate with you from the first phone screen. Knowing how to identify negotiation attempts and how to respond to them will greatly increase your chances of success once you actually receive the offer.
Knowing which techniques you can follow and which behaviors you can apply during different negotiation scenarios will help you feel more confident. It will also make the other party like you, which will make them more prone to give you what you want.
Successful Deal Makers Make For Valuable Job Hires No Matter The Position or Industry And Have Happier Professionals and Personal Lives
When it comes to how you envision using your PhD education, you probably have several key qualities you’re looking for in a job: flexibility, responsibility, personal autonomy…
Those are some of the reasons you’re attracted to a position in industry, but here’s something that’s just as important:
These opportunities aren’t confined to doing meaningful work and being valued by your managers and co-workers.
Becoming a successful industry professional can also provide an incredible amount of financial opportunities.
If you’re currently conducting postdoc work, this can seem too good to be true…
After all, you’re used to earning a salary far beneath your education.
The median household income is $61,937 (U.S. Census Bureau).
But even though you have a PhD, you probably earn well below that figure.
The national average for postdoc positions is $48,759 (Glassdoor).
But when you become an industry professional, you will be among the most technically prepared professionals in your company and will experience professional respect and financial opportunities you’ve never known before.
Offers for high-level positions in industry can easily start at $80,000.
And 74% of hiring managers have room to increase an initial offer by 5-10% (National Society Of Collegiate Scholars).
This means that, by negotiating that first offer, you could end up with a $88,000 annual salary. If you are an exceptional negotiator and know the right techniques to show your value to employers, you could negotiate a 20% salary increase for a final compensation of $96,000.
And learning the rules of successful deal making won’t be relevant only when you have to negotiate a salary. It will help you negotiate with clients and close deals for your company, which will make a valuable employee and will earn you recognition among your managers.
Once You’re A Successful Negotiator, You’ll Experience A Stunning Amount of Flexibility, Opportunities, And Professional Respect
3 Important Reasons To Join The PNL
1. You have been preparing for your industry transition for some time and want to make sure you get paid what you’re worth once you transition
You have taken all the steps to show yourself as a successful industry professional. You have expanded your network, prepared your resume and LinkedIn profile, and prepared from phone screen and on-site interviews. Now, you just have to make sure you have your negotiation game in place, to ensure you get the salary you deserve and start your new industry position on good terms with your new teammates.
2. You understand that negotiating is not something you do once when you land a new position or want a promotion.
Deal making is a valuable transferable skill that will be useful for your professional and personal life no matter what career you decide to pursue. Being a good deal maker will increase the respect of your peers and help you navigate difficult situations in the workplace.
3. You want to learn strategies that will allow you to advocate for yourself without coming up as aggressive or arrogant.
The best dealmakers are those who know how to read a room and adjust their behavior to create win-win situations. This means that, using the right negotiation techniques, you can get the other party to give you what you want and make them feel that they also won with the transaction.
The PhD Negotiation League Can Pay For Itself In 2 Days Or Fewer Once You’re Hired
During A Successful Negotiation, You Can increase Your Base Salary By $10,000 Per Year And Get A Signing Bonus Increase Of $5,000
If joining the PhD Negotiation League helps you achieve one successful salary negotiation in your professional career, the investment will have been worth it.
After that one payment, you’ll have access to the PhD Negotiation League for life, and you can share your negotiation tips with other PhDs like you.
The PNL Mission
In the PhD Negotiation League, we’re committed to supporting you on your journey to landing your dream industry position earning the salary you deserve. To achieve this, we are providing you with advanced, actionable strategies for success.
We’ve provided extensive training from PhDs who transitioned into industry and negotiated lucrative salaries, leading-edge negotiation strategies and scripts, and guidance by an intimate group of professionals working in industry and other PhDs looking to transition.
We understand why you want to leave academia.
You want to apply your technical background in an industry that gives you job stability and appreciates your work.
You desire to impact companies in different industries and see the impact that your science can make in the real world.
And you want to have good deal-making skills that allow you not only to get a competitive salary, but also to negotiate on behalf of your employer to add value to the company that hires you.
But here’s the reality…
Just because you know the importance of deal making, it doesn’t mean that you are a good negotiator.
You’re going to need more than a cursory knowledge of different negotiation strategies to make the best impression with your future employer.
It’s our goal to help you accomplish this.
The information we’re providing—from training videos to negotiation scripts—is laser-targeted for industry negotiation and is exclusively for PhDs.
There are nuances to deal making in and for PhD-level positions that you will find nowhere else.
The PNL program was built by PhDs working in industry who are familiar with these nuances. They can provide you with tools and advice on how best to negotiate in different situations.
The PhD Negotiation League Is A Private Group Of Practicing Industry Professionals Who Use Deal Making Everyday And PhDs Like You
Our exclusive PNL group is private and provides a number of mentors, ensuring we can provide personalized guidance.
The PNL hyper-focused training and private group support will give all the guidance you need to be a good negotiator in the professional setting.
In the private group, top deal makers currently working in industry are committed to providing a high level of service within this intimate community.
This means you’ll enjoy a high ratio of mentors to members.
You’ll appreciate how the PNL is designed to provide personalized guidance and swift feedback.
Imagine Walking Into Your Salary Negotiation In Industry, But You Don’t Know…
- Which questions you should ask to start the conversation and what information you should prepare before starting the actual negotiation, which causes you to panic and accept the first offer just to avoid the trouble.
- What strategies you should use to keep the employers on your side throughout the whole process. This causes the employer to see you as arrogant and not wanting to negotiate with you.
- What order you should follow when negotiating a salary. This means that the other party will have all the power to lead the negotiation and you never will know how much they were actually going to offer you.
- How to focus the conversation on the value you will give to the company, which causes your potential employer to lose interest in you and anchor you on a lower salary than what you actually deserve.
- You already gave a salary during the interview process, which allows the other party to take the initiative during the negotiation and make you feel like you have no control over it.
The PNL Will Give You The Tools To Advocate For Yourself In Front Of Employers, No Matter Your PhD Background And Target Position
…the skills you’ll learn as a PNL member will increase your professional success no matter the company and position you decide to transition into because good negotiators have more rewarding careers.
Those in the PhD Negotiation League have secured and negotiated positions at:
Your PhD has given you the academic training that’s critical for securing these jobs.
The PhD Negotiation League will give you the strategies you need to show you value to employers.
We’ll give you information that’s relevant to any position and professional setting, no matter if you are looking for your first or second transition, if you want to be promoted, or are trying to get into management.
The PNL concentrated training that reveals how to integrate your academic background and your transferable skills into behaviors that will help you land a position and advocate for yourself.
When You Join the PNL, You’re Joining A Program Designed Around Skills That Helped Other PhDs Secure Industry Positions And Negotiate Lucrative Salaries
The PNL was built on tried and true principles that other – current – PhDs working in industry used to land their positions.
The program is run by PhDs who’ve landed industry positions and know which skills you’ll need to develop and leverage to come across as a successful deal-maker.
On top of that, the skills you’ll learn in the PNL were those that other PhDs just like you used to land and negotiate their first industry positions. And continue using their current positions to add value to their companies.
Now that these PhDs have learned how to apply their PNL training in real industry settings, they can look back on which strategies helped them the most.
The PNL Private Group Provides Targeted Support
Joining the PhD Negotiation League lets you tap into targeted support from the PhDs working in industry who oversee the program and former students who’ve now landed industry positions.
In the privacy of the PNL online group, you’ll be able to ask questions about your interview process, gain insights into negotiation strategies from people who close business deals everyday, and interact with like-minded PhDs. That means you can engage in conversations on questions, topics, and challenges relevant to your specific job search.
This group is also exclusive. Only the members of the PNL can see and respond to the messages in the private group.
The exclusivity of the group allows you to freely share ideas with fellow PhDs, ask for assistance to practice your negotiation scripts, and get the advice you need when you encounter challenges.
You’ll get immediate access to a top industry network of trained PhDs who now act as deal makers once you join…
Here’s the Targeted Training You’ll Receive From The PhD Negotiation League...
Negotiation – An Overview
You know that deal making is important, but you don’t know the basic principles that determine a successful negotiation. This module covers…
- What are the rules of negotiation? You’ll get insights into what a negotiation is, what are the main types of negotiation strategies, and what are the main rules that govern all types of negotiations.
- What professional negotiation is and why it matters. This module will explain what professional negotiation is, why it is important to be a good professional negotiator, and how you should behave during a professional negotiation.
- What you need to know to be a professional negotiator. This module presents the elements of professional negotiation and explores why people fail in their negotiation and what you can do to gain and leverage power during negotiations.
- How to interact with the other side. This module teaches you to put you in the other side’s shoes and explain what you need to consider to make the other side feel like you are aboth on the same boat, which will make them want to give you what you want.
Professional Negotiation Framework
You want to know how and when you should start negotiating and the steps you should follow to get the most out of your salary negotiation. This module covers…
- What is a negotiation framework? This module explains what a negotiation framework looks like and why it is important that you set a framework each time you have a negotiation.
- How to fill out forms requesting salary history or expectations. During a job search, employers will ask for your salary expectations from the moment you submit your application. This module will teach you how to to fill these forms and how this impacts the future steps in the hiring process.
- The attitude for successful salary negotiation. Studies show that assuming certain behaviors during salary negotiations can influence your chances of success. During this module, you will learn which behaviors give the best results and how you can assume those behaviors.
- The order in which you should negotiate terms. Salary negotiation involves more than salary – things like a signing bonus, vacation days, and relocation allowance will probably come up into the conversation. This module reviews the order in which you should bring these items into the conversation.
Behavioral Approach To Salary Negotiations
Increase your chances of having a successful salary negotiation by applying specific strategies. This module covers…
- How to get the other side on your side. The ideal negotiation is a win-win situation where both parties are satisfied at the end. This module will cover some strategies you can apply to get the other party on your side and set a win-win environment during your salary negotiations.
- How to read the behavior of the other party during negotiations. Being able to read the other party will help you better understand them. This module will teach you how to read the people you are negotiating with and will show you some strategies you can use to influence their behavior.
- How to manage your emotions. A negotiation can be a stressful situation and being able to keep calm during the whole process is key to be successful. This module will show you some strategies you can use to manage your emotions and keep the right attitude during a negotiation.
- How to practice negotiation. As with any skill, practice makes perfect when it comes to negotiating. These modules will give you advice on how to practice your negotiation strategy during low-stakes situations, so that you are ready when the time comes for high-stakes negotiations.
Negotiation Scripts And Advanced Tactics
The more you practice how to negotiate, the better you will get at it and the more tactics you will be able to implement. This module covers…
- Negotiation scripts to avoid revealing information. During a negotiation, Information is power and the first party to reveal a given information will lose leverage. This module will provide specific scripts you can use to avoid revealing information without being rude to the other party.
- Scripts to handle different steps of salary negotiations. When negotiating your salary, you need to follow specific steps and guide the conversation to make sure you cover everything. This module provides scripts you can rehearse to keep your salary negotiation flowing and on the right track.
- Advanced negotiation techniques. Once you cover the basic strategies, scripts and behaviors of good negotiators, you will be ready for some advanced techniques to step up your deal-making game. This module presents such techniques and shows you how to apply them.
- How to end negotiations. If you want to earn the respect of the people you negotiate with and ensure that everybody complies with what they agree upon, you must know how to end a negotiation. This module will show you the best way to end a negotiation on good terms, no matter the outcome.
As Soon As You Join PNL, You Will Also Get Immediate Access To The Following…
- A complete guide that provides practical information on the basics of professional deal making, important topics to consider, advanced strategies, and more. You’ll enter the industry world knowing exactly how to handle a job negotiation and what to consider.
- The PNL provides a road map on how to address any professional negotiation, from how to identify when someone is negotiating with you to the specrips you must follow in different deal-making situations.
- Discover what is the best approach for different circumstances that require negotiation. How to adapt to the audience, with whom you should speak to increase your chances of success, and what behaviors will be more effective.
- Detailed information on how to address a negotiation. With the PNL, you’ll gain knowledge that shows a potential employer, partner, or coworkers that you’ve done your homework and you’re to take on a deal-making situation with confidence and professionalism.
- Understand all the steps you must take to prepare for a negotiation and how to lead the conversation in the right way throughout the whole process, making sure no important aspect is left behind.
- With the PNL, you will learn how to go through a negotiation. You might think that deal making is messy and emotional. But in reality, it is a structured process that follows an objective order. We will teach not only the right order, but also how to stick to it.
- Lifetime membership for the PNL private online group: an exclusive circle of PhDs who have transitioned to industry or are planning their transition where you can communicate about critical topics, request to practice, and ask for input on your deal-making scripts. Only members of the PNL are allowed access to this group.
- Gain guidance from other PhDs who work in industry on your upcoming negotiation, be it because you got a job offer, want to convince your manager of giving you a promotion, or want to land a difficult client for your company. They’re in the field and can provide advice that’s targeted for your specific needs and questions.
- Enjoy meaningful conversations with other PhDs in the group to discuss the latest development in your job search, your current challenges, and more. The PNL private group also provides a network of PhDs who want to learn about deal making, and with whom you can practice what you learn in the program.
- Comprehensive training that takes you from understanding the basics of deal making to securing your first lucrative salary, promotion, or client. After laying a thorough foundation, the PNL will cover everything from how to identify a negotiation to how to practice advanced strategies so you’re prepared for every situation.
- Over the course of four modules, you’ll enjoy information-packed workbooks, numerous training videos from professional deal makers, and suggested practice sessions to help you cement the concepts covered. Your PNL training is a crash course on what you need to know to improve your deal-making skills.
- Discover different strategies that apply to several business situations. The PNL covers basic and advanced strategies that you can apply to all the negotiations you will find during your professional life.
- What you need to know about behavior during deal making. The PNL will underscore the behavioral techniques that will make a positive impression on the people you are negotiating with and will uniquely qualify to achieve a successful negotiation.
- Gain critical insights into the skills needed to successfully transition from your postdoc work to a life in industry as a successful deal maker. The PNL will show you how to use your negotiation skills, before, during, and after the hiring process.
- Discover effective strategies that will help you to pinpoint the best approach for a given negotiation. The PNL will show how to tailor your strategy so that you and the other party can leave the negotiation feeling like winners.
- Extensive training resources that will help you gain deal-making skills in a variety of ways.
- The PNL provides instant access to extensive video training from industry professionals with closed captioning provided. You’ll also gain workbooks, video transcripts, and negotiation scripts.
- The end of each module provides practicing guidelines to solidify the concepts you’ve learned during your training. The PNL will also provide monthly webinars on important topics relevant to professional negotiation.
As A PhD, You Can Use Strong Deal-Making Skills To Excel In The Industry Position Of Your Choice
You earned your PhD with knowledge and hard work.
Learning how to be a professional negotiator is no different.
You have the work ethic to make this happen.
You simply need targeted, laser-focused knowledge of professional negotiation tactics.
We’re here to decrease your learning curve.
And our goal is the same as yours: ensure that you enter your first industry position as a successful deal-maker that can handle difficult situations.
We’ve done it.
We’ve helped other PhDs do it.
And you can do it too.
We’re inviting you to join the PhD Negotiation League.
Now is the time to close the gap between where you are and where you want to be.
Get Access To The PhD Negotiation League Training Program & Network
If you’re determined to transition into industry as a professional negotiator and have chosen the PhD Negotiation League to make that happen, we’d like to welcome you.
As practicing industry PhDs who oversee the PNL at Cheeky Scientist, we know firsthand the challenges you face, the questions you have, and the information you’ll need to succeed.
We’re ready to empower you to make the transition, and we hope to meet you in the private group soon.
To your success,
The PhDs working in industry at Cheeky Scientist
PNL Board Memebers
Donald Asher, PhD
Program Leader, & Managing Partner at Asher Associates
Julie Dela Cruz-Mulders, PhD
Medical Science Liaison At Eli Lilly
Bryant Moeller, PhD
Senior Toxicologist at ResMed
Sedef Iskit, PhD
Consultant At Catalyzee Group
Eugene Cilento, PhD
Product Application Scientist at NanoString Technologies, Inc.
Matthew Jefferson, PhD
Medical Research Liaison at Argenx
Scientist at MESO Scale Diagnostics
Elizabeth Jeanne Thatcher
Medical Field Director at Pfizer