Here’s What You Get Lifetime Access To When You Become A GCU Member…
Reverse-Engineer Your Ideal Government Position with a Certified and Targeted Training Program
“The materials in the GCU training program are accessible and useful for PhDs located in any country who are looking at different types of government work (local, regional, national, IGO). The GCU covers the top PhD-level positions available in the public sector, as well as the different hiring modalities (contractor, direct hire, permanent employee) available in the public sector. The GCU materials will accelerate the transition of any PhD looking to work for the government.”
“The Government Careers Union (GCU) by Cheeky Scientist is the first PhD-based networking group for getting government jobs. This can help anyone who may want to work at the local, regional, state, federal, or international level with governments. As someone who has worked with each of these levels with there are many opportunities for topic-based work per the PhD expertise areas or management/leadership roles. The GCU gives the doctoral community a place to network online and discuss jobs, continuing education training, and career paths. ”
“The materials in the GCU training program are very organized and contain a lot of valuable information that PhDs wanting to transition into a government position can use in their job search. The program covers different paths that PhDs can pursue when planning their transition. So, they will know all the options worth exploring.”
The Government Careers Union
Is Designed for PhDs Who Want To…
- Serve the public with their knowledge, skills, and drive.
- Understand how work in the public sector differs from work in academia or the private sector even in jobs that have the same title.
- Find out what research, policy, regulatory affairs, and data analysis careers are available for PhDs in government.
- Jump start their public sector job search and avoid unemployment despite the long time to hire for government roles – 106 days to hire a new employee in 2017 (Federal News Network).Get familiar with the agencies and intergovernmental organizations that hire PhDs.
- Understand the unique hiring process PhDs seeking employment in government must face and how to adapt their job search accordingly.
- Learn how to show they meet the 100% of required skills and experience for a public sector role needed to advance in the hiring process (Job-Hunt).
The Public Sector Presents PhDs With A Variety Of Great Opportunities…
- Worldwide, there are over 1,000 public sector job listings that require a PhD (and most public sector openings are not advertised) (SimplyHired).
- The public sector has 16+ different top career opportunities for PhDs (CSA Research).
- The median entry-level salary for a PhD working in government in the US is $86,000 (NSF).
- Government jobs offer exceptional benefits, such as the 457(b) in the US, the government retirement savings plan that does not have the early withdraw penalty present in the 401(k) industry equivalent plans (GovWorker).
- There are more than 300 intergovernmental organizations around the world (National Geographic) where PhDs could find impact careers.
If You’re A PhD Looking To Transition Out Of Academia, See If You Answer YES To These Questions…
- Do you want to use your PhD expertise and skills to benefit the general population?
- Do you want to uncover research and data-driven insights to develop public goods and services?
- Do you want to use your strategic thinking skills to guide government policy, regulations, and initiatives?
- Do you want to join a diverse team of professionals who enjoy a comfortable salary, exceptional benefits, and good work-life balance?
- Do you want a secure career that comes with opportunities for advancement?
- Do you want to work within a governmental or intergovernmental agency such as the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the World Health Organization (WHO), or the United Nations (UN)?
Public Sector PhDs Form An Exclusive Group
PhDs employed in the public sector earn comfortable pay, enjoy an excellent work-life balance, and do work that can have a big impact on public life.
But these are privileges that they’ve earned.
Members of this group speak their own language.
They know how to navigate the government bureaucracy to get their jobs done.
PhDs in the public sector work as scientists, policy analysts, regulatory affairs specialists, program managers, and more. Their work often determines the success or failure of government initiatives
If you want to increase your chances of transitioning into the public sector, you can’t apply for these positions blindly.
You need detailed information on your future position. During a job search, you can’t afford to show you don’t understand how governmental and intergovernmental entities are run. You can’t risk revealing that you don’t know the implications of failing to follow the rules associated with your future role or not meeting high ethical standards.
To avoid blunders like these, you’ll want to know what a typical day looks like for a PhD in a public sector role.
The Key Skills Government Employers Are Looking For…
Government Professionals have a skill set that empowers them to meet the unique challenges of their position. Your future employer is looking for these qualities. You’ll want an insider’s perspective on how to demonstrate that you have the abilities needed to excel in your Government position.
Get familiar with specific terms and processes of the Public Sector world. Government Professionals move through formal steps and procedures to establish important documents and processes. To be successful, you’ll want to show that you recognize these terms, understand what they mean, and know why they are important.
Once You Secure A Government Job, You’ll Experience A Stunning Amount Of Responsibility, Opportunities, And Professional Respect…
When you envision using your PhD education, you probably think of a job with several key qualities: responsibility, professional respect, personal autonomy…
Those are some of the reasons you’re attracted to a government position, but here’s something that’s just as important:
These opportunities aren’t confined to the prestige of working for the public sector.
A government job can also provide incredible financial opportunity.
If you’re currently conducting postdoc work, this can seem too good to be true…
After all, you’re used to earning a salary far beneath your education.
The median household income is $61,937 (U.S. Census Bureau).
But even though you have a PhD, you probably earn well below that figure.
The national average for postdoc positions is $48,759 (Glassdoor).
But once you secure a PhD job in an agency, you will be among the most sought-after professionals for a wide variety of roles, with financial opportunities you’ve never known before.
The median entry-level annual salary for a PhD working in government in the U.S is $86,000 (NSF).
And don’t forget that this is for entry-level positions.
Senior government positions offer salaries that are often competitive with their private sector equivalents.
Additionally, government jobs often offer the best benefits and work-life balance available in a PhD-level role.
Once you break into the public sector, you’ll have the opportunity to branch into other top PhD government careers such as policy analyst and program manager among others.
3 Important Reasons To Join The GCU
1. You Want To Play An Active Role In Public Affairs.
The variety of careers available for PhDs in government includes everything from scientist to technical writer, to policy analyst roles, and more. Although these careers differ in terms of day-to-day work activities, they are alike in that all exist to help shape public life.
2. You Want Work-Life Balance, Job Security, and Exceptional Benefits.
Government jobs have at least two desirable qualities you’ve probably been missing in academia: work-life balance and job security. Additionally, the benefits provided in government employees’ compensation packages are often among the best available in any sector.
3. You Want To Get Your Public Sector Job Search On Track.
The hiring process for government jobs is unique and it generally takes much longer than those for a private sector or academic job. As such, PhDs interested in government roles need to start their job search early.
The Government Careers Union Can Pay For Itself In 3 Days Or Less.
The Public Sector Positions PhDs Transition Into Have You Earning Over $1,500 Per Week And Over $200 Per Day…
If joining the Government Careers Union puts you in the field even one week faster, the investment will have been worth it.
After that one payment, you’ll have access to the Government Careers Union for life and once you secure your position, you can share your insights with other PhDs like you.
The Government Careers Union Includes An Ongoing Board Certification To Ensure You Are Always Certified As An Industry-Trained PhD
The Government Careers Union was created and is maintained by a board of PhDs currently working in the public sector.
As such, each module includes a board-certified exam, and once you pass all the exams, you will receive a certificate from our board.
The GCU Mission
In the Government Careers Union, we’re committed to supporting you on your journey to landing a top position in the public sector.
To achieve our goal, we’ve provided advanced, actionable strategies for success. Our program includes extensive training from PhDs in a variety of government roles, current resume templates specific for the public sector, and an intimate group of fellow PhDs who are passionate about public sector work to support your transition.
We understand why you want to break into the public sector.
You want to use your PhD experience to support and protect the general public.
You want to help develop policies, procedures, and programs based on data.
You want to enjoy the salary, benefits, work-life balance, and job security you’ve been missing as a PhD in academia.
But here’s the reality…
Just because there are a lot of employment options for PhDs in the public sector doesn’t mean transitioning into a government role is easy.
Frankly, you’re going to need more than a cursory knowledge of governments to make the best impression with your future employer.
We can help you do just that.
The information we’re providing—from training videos to resumes—is laser-targeted for government positions and is exclusively for PhDs.
There are nuances to the public sector that you will find nowhere else.
The GCU program was built by practicing PhD professionals in government who are familiar with these nuances. They can provide you with tools and advice on how best to secure a position.
To win over your future employer, you will want to demonstrate that you are an expert in your target sector, understand the duties of the government, and can combine your technical and transferable skills to help achieve their mission.
You don’t need to pay thousands of dollars to understand what your employer is looking for.
In the Government Careers Union, we provide extensive training and personalized support. And our materials are specifically designed to help you showcase both your natural talents and your PhD expertise so you attract the attention of top agencies.
As A PhD, You Can Transition Into A Government Role
You earned your PhD with careful thinking and hard work.
Achieving a government position is no different.
You have the work ethic to make this happen.
You simply need to develop an extensive knowledge of the Public Sector.
We’re here to decrease your learning curve.
And our goal is the same as yours: securing that government job.
We’ve done it.
We’ve helped other PhDs do it.
And you can do it too.
We’re inviting you to join the Government Careers Union.
Now is the time to close the gap between where you are and where you want to be.
The Government Careers Union Is A Private Group Of Practicing Government Employees and PhDs Like You
Our exclusive GCU group is private and provides a number of Government Professional mentors, ensuring we can provide personalized guidance.
The GCU’s hyper-focused training and private group support prepare you for the unknowns of interviewing for a Government Professional position.
In the private group, top Government Professionals are committed to providing a high-level of service within this intimate community.
This means you’ll enjoy a high ratio of mentors to members.
You’ll appreciate how the GCU is designed to provide personalized guidance and swift feedback.
Imagine Walking Into Your First Public Sector Job Interview, But You Don’t Know…
- The division of responsibilities among various levels of government. As a result, you make statements that reveal you have little knowledge of how the public sector operates.
- How government jobs differ from their public sector counterparts. You assume there is little to no difference, and the questions you ask during the phone screen show it.
- How to respond when your prospective employer asks you how you will manage your regular interactions with other team members and citizens. As a result, you fail your interview and further delay your transition on top of the already long public sector hiring process.
GCU Guarantees You Will Get Hired Into A Public Sector Role No Matter Your PhD Background…
…the Government Careers Union can translate your field of study into an industry position that puts you on the front lines, working for different departments, managing different initiatives, or pushing different policies to improve the lives of the general population.
Your PhD has given you the academic training that’s critical for securing these jobs.
But the Government Careers Union can help you prove that fact to employers.
We’ll give you information that’s uniquely relevant to the Government Professional position – not the private sector or academia.
The result is intensive, concentrated training that reveals how to integrate your academic background, your transferable skills, and your knowledge of the Public Sector into behaviors that will help you land a position.
When You Join the GCU, You’re Joining A Program Designed Around Skills That Helped Other PhDs Land Different Positions In The Public Sector
The GCU was built on tried and true principles that other, current Government Professionals used to land their positions.
The program is run by Government Professionals who’ve landed industry positions and know which skills you’ll need to leverage to improve your chances of being hired.
On top of that, the skills you’ll learn in the GCU were those that other PhDs just like you used to land their first Government Professional position in different countries and sectors.
Now that these Government Professionals have used their GCU training to make a successful transition, they can look back on what helped them secure their Government job.
The GCU Private Group Provides Targeted Support
Joining the Government Careers Union lets you tap into targeted support from the Government Professionals who oversee the program and former students who’ve now landed Government positions.
In the privacy of the GCU online group, you’ll be able to ask questions about your resume, gain insights into interview experiences from transitioned Government Professionals, and interact with like-minded PhDs. That means you can engage in conversations on questions, topics, and challenges relevant to the Public Sector.
This group is also exclusive. Only the members of the GCU can see and respond to the messages in the private group.
The exclusivity of the group allows you to freely share ideas with fellow PhDs, request referrals from other Government Professionals, and get the advice you need when you encounter challenges.
You’ll get immediate access to a top global Government Professional network exclusively for PhDs once you join…
Here’s The Targeted Training You’ll Receive From The Government Careers Union…
Module 1 – Working For The Government – Essentials
You know you want a career in the public sector. As such, you want to learn about public institutions and how they operate. This module covers…
- Government Systems. This module describes the government’s role in society. You’ll learn about the most common government systems and the many functions that governments perform.
- Governmental Entities. This module outlines the levels of government from local municipalities to global/international entities. It also describes governmental departments and intergovernmental organizations that focus on specific topics of public importance.
- Core Values. This module details the central values and key personal characteristics common among those who find fulfillment in public sector careers.
- Public Sector Career Differentiators. This module explains what makes working in the public sector different from working in the private sector or academia. You’ll find out what to expect from a career in the public sector in terms of structure, work-life balance, salary, career progression, and more.
Module 2 – Research And Development In The Public Sector
You want to know what a career as a scientist in the public sector looks like day to day and what skills are needed for success. This module covers…
- Government Scientist Employers. This module covers some of the governmental and intergovernmental institutions that hire PhD researchers either directly or as contractors. You’ll find out where to look for these jobs based on your specific interests and expertise.
- Research In Government Vs. Academia. This module explains how working as a scientist for the government differs from your experience doing research in academia. You’ll learn about some of the duties that are unique to public sector scientists as well as some of the advantages of government research jobs.
- Essential Skills For Public Sector Scientists. This module highlights the top technical and transferable skills you’ll need to succeed as a researcher in the public sector.
- Subject-Specific Job Profiles. The public sector employs researchers with PhDs in biology, engineering, physical science, environmental science, and more. This module uses a few specific examples to show what the day-to-day work is like for scientists in these disciplines.
Module 3 – PhD-Level Government Careers
Scientist jobs aren’t the only option for PhDs in the public sector. Governmental entities also employ PhDs in data-intensive, policy, regulatory, and managerial roles. This module covers….
- Numbers-Intensive Positions. PhDs who enjoy data analysis can work in the public sector as data scientists, statisticians, economists, and other numbers-heavy roles. This module describes these positions and the important roles they play in the government.
- Skills For Data-Heavy Jobs. This module outlines the skill sets commonly required for numbers-intensive government jobs. It also highlights the characteristics of PhDs who thrive in these roles.
- The World Of Policy, Regulations, And Program Management. PhDs can find rewarding roles in the government as policy officers, regulatory affairs professionals, technical writers, and program managers. In this module, you’ll learn what each of these roles entails.
- Motivators For Policy And Regulatory Professionals. You’ll find out what interests inspire PhDs to choose policy and regulatory roles. You’ll learn what activities you will need to enjoy in order to succeed in these roles.
Module 4 – Applying For And Landing A Government Job
The public sector uses a unique hiring process, and you’ll need to design your job search accordingly to secure a job offer. This module covers….
- Finding More Information. This module explains how you can gain experience working in the government and network to learn more about roles that interest you. You’ll learn how to get the knowledge you need to make an informed decision about and facilitate your transition into a government career.
- Transferable Skills. Interpersonal, communication, and management skills are important for many PhD-level government careers. This module explains how you developed these and other valuable transferable skills during your PhD.
- Job Search Strategy. This module details the unique features of the public sector hiring process. You’ll get tips on how to prepare your resume, find job openings, prepare for interviews, and more.
- Application Checklist. Government jobs are much stricter than industry jobs in terms of what they require of applicants. In this module, you’ll learn what criteria you should meet before investing in a particular application.
As Soon As You Join The GCU, You Will Also Get Immediate Access To The Following…
- A complete guide that provides practical information on the public sector. You’ll learn how governmental and intergovernmental institutions work, what PhD-level jobs are available in the public sector, how to find out more about roles that interest you, and more. You’ll enter the job search knowing exactly what you’re looking for and what your future employer expects from you.
- The GCU describes how governmental entities approach the variety of roles they serve– from performing research that benefits the public to regulating the economy to establishing policy and beyond. Instead of entering your interview wondering what you don’t know, you’ll be prepared to ask questions that will help you determine if you want to accept a particular job offer.
- Discover what public sector careers would best suit your academic background and personal interests. Gain knowledge from government insiders that will help you make savvy decisions as you vie for job openings.
- Learn the most important skills for PhD careers in government. Discover how to translate your experience in research, data analysis, and strategic thinking into insights that improve public life.
- Detailed information on the differences between the public sector, industry, and academia. You’ll understand the unique challenges facing every transition into the public sector. With the GCU, you’ll gain knowledge that shows a potential employer that you’ve done your homework and you’re prepared for success in a government career.
- The GCU thoroughly details the day-to-day of a variety of government jobs. You’ll learn how roles in the public sector differ from their counterparts in the private sector.
- Gain important insights into the public sector hiring process. You’ll fully understand how you need to adapt your job search approach compared to PhDs seeking employment in the private sector to secure a job offer.
- Discover how to translate your PhD skills and knowledge of the public sector into questions that will impress your future employer. The GCU provides important advice to help you showcase your knowledge of and passion for government work.
- Lifetime membership for the GCU private online group: an exclusive circle of professionals with government experience and fellow PhDs where you can communicate about important topics, expand your network, and ask for the input of other public sector workers. Only members of the GCU are allowed access to this group.
- Gain guidance from practicing government professionals on your upcoming interview, your newly created resume, or your recent job offer. They’re in the field and can provide advice that’s targeted for your specific needs and questions.
- Enjoy meaningful conversations with other PhDs in the group. Discuss the latest development in your job search, your current challenges, and more. Learn from PhDs who’ve made the transition and ask for insider tips.
- Leverage the GCU private group to find other Government Professionals or PhDs you can connect with. Find members by their name, location, educational background, or other characteristics to aid your job search.
- Comprehensive training that takes you from understanding the Public Sector to securing your first job. After laying a thorough foundation for your position, the GCU will cover everything from networking to how to practice for your job interviews so you’re prepared for the hiring process.
- Over the course of four modules, you’ll enjoy information-packed workbooks, numerous training videos from Government professionals, and exams to help you cement the concepts covered. Your GCU training is a crash course on what you need to know to improve your chances of securing a position.
- Discover effective techniques for successfully pinpointing the best departments, targeting your resume for you desired positions, conducting informational interviews, and more. The GCU will show you how to tailor your job search so that you secure an offer for a Government position.
- Discover the career options available to PhDs wanting to transition to the Public Sector. With the GCU, you’ll be able to gauge all your options and determine which positions will be a better fit.
- What you need to know about communication as a Public Servant, no matter your level of extraversion. The GCU will underscore the communication techniques that will make a positive impression and will uniquely qualify you for the role.
- Gain critical insights into the skills needed to successfully transition from your PhD student or postdoc work to life as a Government employee. The GCU will show you how to showcase the skills that will get you hired.
- Discover what government departments are looking for during interviews. With the GCU, you’ll get important tips for how to behave so you distinguish yourself from other candidates.
- Extensive training resources that help you learn the nuances of the Public Sector in-depth.
- The Government Careers Union provides instant access to extensive video training from Government professionals. You’ll also gain workbooks, video transcripts, and resume templates for Government positions.
- The end of each module provides an exam to solidify the concepts you’ve learned during your training. The GCU will also provide monthly webinars on important topics relevant to your job search in the Public Sector.
The Council Is NOT For You If...
Public Service Isn’t Your Primary Motivator
All PhDs desire fulfilling and impactful careers. However, fulfillment looks different for every PhD.
While the government does offer a variety of opportunities for PhDs, every public sector career is similar in its commitment to improving public life.
If public service isn’t your primary motivator, then the GCU is not for you.
The GCU is for PhDs who are driven by the desire to impact public life to overcome the unique challenges they may face in their roles as government employees.
You Find Bureaucracy Overly Restrictive
Most PhDs don’t enjoy having lots of rules to follow. You, however, find strict order particularly suffocating.
Government entities are highly structured and bureaucratic. If you work for the government, you will have to perform every action according to its rules.
If you want to impact public life, but struggle when faced with strict expectations for documentation, operating procedures, and working within a hierarchy, then the GCU isn’t for you.
The GCU is designed for PhDs who understand the value of regulations and can adhere to the rules.
You Are Not Willing To Relocate
You want to serve the public with your PhD, and you are capable of dealing with red tape. Unfortunately, you are location restricted in your job search.
Many government jobs are concentrated in certain locations, such as Washington D.C. in the USA or London in the UK. The agencies that specialize in subjects that PhDs may be interested in are also located in specific cities.
The GCU is designed to help PhDs transition into public sector careers, but some government roles may not be realistic for those who are not already living in the same city as their target agency and cannot relocate.
The Government Careers Union Is 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
You Can Make a Risk-Free Decision
If you join the Government Careers Union, complete the training materials, and still have doubts about the program, then we’ll gladly refund 100% of your money up to two weeks (14 days) after you’ve joined.
IMPORTANT: To be eligible for a refund, you must complete all Quiz Questions in each core training module workbooks and successfully complete all training module Exams with a score of 80% or above. This means you must take action in this program.
Our goal is to empower you with the knowledge you need to transition into the right industry career for you, and you should have the freedom to make that decision without any risk.
Get Access To The Government Careers Union Training Program & Network
If you’re determined to be a Government Professional and you’ve chosen the Government Careers Union to make that happen, we’d like to welcome you.
As practicing Government Professionals who oversee the GCU at the Cheeky Scientist Association, we know firsthand the challenges you face, the questions you have, and the information you’ll need to succeed.
We’re ready to empower you to make the transition, and we hope to meet you in the private group soon.
To your success,
The Government Professionals at the Cheeky Scientist Association
GCU Board Members
Seila Selimovic, PhD
Program Manager At Department of Health and Human Services
Oindree Banerjee, PhD
Research Physicist At Department of the Air Force
Annette Padilla PhD, MPH, sMBA
Federal Government Contractor in Peer Review & Special Projects
Prince Nana Amaniampong, PhD
Research Scientist at CNRS
Yue Zou, PhD
Principal Planning Analyst at Hennepin County
Prakamya Gupta, PhD
Scientist at Indian Council Of Medical Research
Jean-Sébastien Michaud, PhD
Research Agent at Government of Quebec
Amanda Nelson, PhD
Research Hydrologist at US department of Agriculture
Tahseen Kamal, PhD
Regulator - Post Market Medical Devices at Australia Department of Health