Get Access To Association Diamond
Get Access To A Network Of Over 25,000 PhDs Looking To Transition Into Industry, Targeted Mentoring For Specific Industry Careers, And Personalized Guidance To Overcome Your Unique Challenges
By joining this bundled offer, you will get access to the World’s largest PhD-Only job search mentoring platform, the best PhD-only job referral network, targeted programs so you can choose the right career for you, one-on-one consulting,meetings, and an exclusive expert forum of industry professionals that will hold you accountable to getting hired
Here's What You Get Immediate Access To When You Join The Association Diamond...
“Before Cheeky Scientist, I had never worked outside of academia. I didn't even know how to begin my industry job search. CS has changed my life for the better - now, I'm a software engineer at Google. Pretty big difference. Cheeky Scientist made it possible, and they'll do the same for you.”
“I Joined Cheeky Scientist in hoping to transition into a new career path Suffice it to say... I did it! I currently work as an evidence evaluation specialist - a position I landed after responding to a job posting in the Cheeky Scientist private networking group.”
“I didn't know how to best prepare for my transition into industry, so I struggled to shift out of my long-held academic mindset. Everything changed once I became a member of Cheeky Scientist. Now I work in a top position at Amazon as a research scientist.”
“I was hesitant to join at first as my background is in applied mathematics but the job search strategy is the same regardless of your background. I instantly made valuable connections within the private group and now work as a consultant at McKinsey.”
The Association Diamond Is Designed For PhDs Who Want To…
- Get information specifically about transitioning into a non-academic career
- Learn how to write a resume & cover letter that hiring managers will actually respond to
- Be more confident when interviewing
- Create the perfect LinkedIn profile with our team of LinkedIn experts
- Find out what jobs will fit their personal circumstances
- Know what options they have outside of academia and research
- Get beginner and advanced networking advice
Hello, PhD Or PhD Candidate…
- Are you spending tediously long hours in academia, feeling underpaid, underappreciated, and stuck, not knowing what to do with your PhD?
- Have you tried to explore non-academic opportunities using your current knowledge and expertise only to find that you don’t know where to start?
- Have you sent out resumes and cover letters to industry jobs you are qualified for only to hear nothing back and not even get an interview?
- Have you been attending networking events and reaching out to people on LinkedIn but not getting any responses?
- Are you wondering why it’s so hard to get a high-paying job that allows you to use your PhD?
Career Statistics For PhDs
The Association Diamond represents the world’s #1 non-academic career mentoring program for PhDs. Our Association is a private network of over 15,000 PhDs from over 150 different countries who are currently either in or seeking non-academic careers.
Our mission is to equip PhDs with the resources they need to obtain high-paying industry jobs that revolve around meaningful work. You already have the technical knowledge – we provide the business edge and the industry insider information.
When you become an Associate, you will get immediate access to a private, highly organized and optimized PhD-level job search blueprint. You will also get access to our private job referral network and instant, real-time feedback from our team of experts on any question related to your job search or your unique situation.
WHOM WE SUPPORT
There was a time when getting a PhD was a thing of glory. It was deeply challenging to obtain an advanced degree, but once you had it, career success was inevitable. You were treated as valuable in academia.
But this is no longer the case.
For most PhD students and postdocs, tenured professorship is a lie. Day in and day out, PhDs exhaust themselves and allow academia to chip away at their mental and emotional well-being. Cheeky Scientist is not satisfied with this trend. We are dedicated to showing PhDs something they have forgotten about themselves…
Their incredible value.
We began this journey with an idea – a vision of how the world could be if businesses were run at the highest level by brilliant, hard-working PhDs who were dedicated to making the world a better place. Now, with our network of over 15,000 PhD Associates, we are something more than an idea. We are a movement at the intersection of academia and industry, and we are redefining what it means to be a successful PhD.
Industry needs what PhDs have to offer, and we have the resources you need to change your life with a high-paying, top-level industry career. It’s time to remember your value as a PhD.
We Have Placed Associates In Over 500 Different Top Companies, Including…
These and hundreds of other top companies are actively looking to hire PhDs like you.
They know you have the technical knowledge and the ability to learn on the job, but they really want to know if you have the transferable expertise to work effectively in industry.
The Association will guide you in this transferable knowledge and show you how to communicate and leverage this information on your resume, at networking events, and during interviews.
The Association Is A Private Community Of 15,000 PhDs From 150+ Countries
Jeanette Stankowski, PhD
Medical Science Liaison at Biogen
Umar Twahir, PhD
PTD Module and Integration Device Yield Engineer at Intel
Lois-May Young, PhD
Clinical Research Associate, PRA Health Sciences
Patricia Silva, PhD
Data Scientist, Clarivate Analytics
Elisa Guimaraes Souza, PhD
Medical Science Liaison, Janssen
Jessica Kishimoto, PhD
Territory Manager, Ultident Scientific
Regina Gonda, PhD
Social Media Analyst, Bakamo Social
Greg Lambert, PhD
Technical Service Manager/Representative, Teijin Carbon America
Gabriel Villar, PhD
R&D Scientist, Becton, Dickinson (BD)
Anastasia Dian Anggraini, PhD
Marketing Analytics Specialist, Periscope By McKinsey
Vincent Genest, PhD\
Associate Consultant at McKinsey & Company
Pallevi Srivastva, PhD
Product Development Specialist for Agilent Technologies
Ron Hunter, PhD
Technical Director of Chemistry, Mérieux NutriSciences
Michelle Grant, PhD
Medical and Consumer Copywriter, Ogilvy South Africa
Farzana Alam, PhD
Scientist, Eagle Pharmaceuticals
Valeria Padovano, PhD
Research Scientist, Broad Institute
Dignesh Shah, PhD
Associate Regulatory Affairs Specialist, Perspectum Diagnostics
Camillia Barnes, PhD
Software Engineer, Google
Alexis Paez, PhD
Director of Science Outreach, Sales & Marketing, NeuroNexus
Mariano Gonzalo Cardenas, PhD
Application Specialist, NanoTemper Technologies
Abeer Eltanawy, PhD
Quality Assurance Scientist, Schrödinger
Aaron Donahue, PhD
Medical Writer, IC Axon
Ahmed Kamal, PhD
Research Scientist, Beiersdorf
Alex Woychek, PhD
Field Application Scientist, ChemoMetec
Danka Kozareva, PhD
Technician Position, Transpharmation Ltd
Rohan Gokhale, PhD
Research Associate, Nissan Motor Corporation
Vidhi Thakkar, PhD
Medical Writer, Smith & Nephew Orthopaedics
Yoanne Clovis, PhD
Technical Sales Scientist at NemaMetrix, Inc.
Paolo Rusconi, PhD
Regulatory Submission Coordinator at Medpace
Maxwell Caughron, PhD
Data Analyst at Accenture
Galen Miller, PhD
Senior Scientist, Horizon Discovery
Samantha Shelton, PhD
Technical Support Scientist, 10X Genomics
When you join The Association Diamond, you get immediate access to…
A private, highly organized and optimized PhD-level job search blueprint, so you can stop wasting time searching through thousands of outdated articles online and stop wondering if other people’s advice is incorrect, biased, or both.
- As soon as you join The Association Diamond, you get immediate access to your own private password-protected membership dashboard, which includes the Cheeky Scientist Core Career Library.
- This mentoring program includes over 100X in-depth courses presented by our team of successful PhDs, MBAs, and business professionals – all professionally organized into easily digestible modules.
- The courses are recorded and archived for you to watch or re-watch whenever you want, at your own pace.
A personalized transition plan and transition map, so you can be 100% sure that you’re applying to the right job positions for your unique situation and your unique professional background, even if you don’t know where to start in your job search and even if you don’t know what jobs are available.
- All Associates get access to the award-winning Cheeky Scientist Industry Transition Plan (3rd Edition).
- This plan takes you step-by-step through the process of figuring out exactly what career you want, what your career strengths are, and which job positions are a perfect fit for you.
Continued and cutting-edge advice from current industry professionals, so you can stop worrying about whether or not the information you’re learning about is up-to-date and correct, and so you can figure out which job positions are right for you even if you don’t know where to start.
- All Associates get access to all new Cheeky Scientist informativewebinars. We host over 50 new informative webinars each year with PhD professionals currently working in a wide array of industry positions, as well as with recruiters, hiring managers, resume experts, senior executives, and special guests who have leading-edge expertise in what it takes to get a non-academic job and be successful in industry.
- You will also get access to our complete “Industry Positions Guide” and “Career Map” which detail the 43 most popular non-academic positions in industry and which roles may be the best suited for you.
- You also get access to hundreds of private documents and elite industry transition tips that are updated daily so you can be sure you’re always on the cutting edge of your job search and your overall career.
Private, instant, real-time feedback from our team of experts on any question you have related to your job search or to your unique situation, so you can be 100% confident in the decisions you’re making about your transition and your overall career.
- This includes instant, real-time feedback on your industry resume, on generating job referrals, on interviewing, and on negotiating job offers.
- By becoming an Associate, you will get access to our private Association community forum, which gives you direct contact with our Association management team and consultant team, as well as over 700 PhD industry professionals who are also in the private group.
- You can ask questions, get support, and comment with the entire team of Cheeky Scientist experts in real-time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Other Cheeky Scientist Associates that want to talk, network, and share information are waiting on the inside for you, right now.
Instant access to our private job referral network, so you can stop spending countless hours trying to figure out how to network with people you’ve never met and don’t know anything about – this group will ensure that you never have to cold contact anyone for a job again.
- When you become an Associate, you get immediate access to our private, thriving community of 15,000 PhDs from 150+ different countries.
- That’s right – you get immediate access to an existing network of PhDs who will support you in your job search and even serve as referrals.
- You will also get access to our new, private Members Directory so you can search for other Associates by their name, PhD background, career interests, location, and LinkedIn profile details
Increased visibility on LinkedIn so you can finally start being contacted by top employers.
- Once you join the Association and finish your program, you will receive a custom, globally recognized Cheeky Scientist “Industry Professional” LinkedIn badge to put on your LinkedIn profile so our company partners and recruiting firm partners can quickly and easily find you and contact you.
- As an Associate, you also get access to our full list of company and recruiting firm affiliates, including top recruiters and hiring managers that you can contact directly about industry jobs.
Here’s The Core Guidance You’ll Receive from The Association Diamond
Module #1: Resumes & Cover Letters
This module is all about learning how to craft an industry resume and cover letter so you can show employers that you are an industry professional. You will learn…
The difference between an industry resume and an academic CV and how you should structure your resume to ensure that it gets noticed by employers and ends up in the ‘interview’ pile.
The 8-points of creating a current, industry-optimized resume that will get past applicant tracking software and is scientifically designed to capture recruiter and hiring manager attention (based on peer-reviewed eye-tracking studies). You will get personalized advice on how to edit your resume for the exact industry position you want.
The 5 industry-tested resume templates that you can use and the situation where you should use each of them. We will guide you how to structure each of these resumes and the information you should highlight in each of them. So, you are 100% confident that you have sent the right resume for each application.
The most important things to consider when writing a cover letter, what you should include and what you should never include if you want to make a good impression.
Module #2: LinkedIn & Networking
This module is all about discovering how a well crafted LinkedIn profile can propel your industry job search and what is the best way to leverage this social media to your advantage. You’ll discern…
The power of LinkedIn as a tool to position yourself in your target industry and why it is better to have no LinkedIn profile at all than to have a bare-bone profile.
The reason why so many PhDs do not get contacted by recruiters on LinkedIn, even though 87% of recruiters fill jobs by contacting applicants on LinkedIn (CareerBuilder). You will learn how to create an organized, keyword-optimized LinkedIn profile that will attract recruiters and hiring managers to you.
How to identify the keywords that you should add to your profile to ensure that you appear on searcher performed on LinkedIn recruiter – a LinkedIn platform used exclusively by recruiters and hiring manager looking to fill in industry positions.
Module #3 – Job Search Methodology
This module is all about organizing and prioritizing your job search so you can execute the job search process quickly and effectively. You’ll discover…
Why most PhDs execute a job search backward by trying to find the job title they want first and why this often leads to getting rejected at the phone screen stage of the hiring process.
The main aspects you should consider when evaluating what is the best industry position for you based on your desired lifestyle. You will also learn how to evaluate company culture and how to determine if a given company is the right fit for you.
The 3 factors you need to consider before applying to any company and any industry position. PhDs who ignore these factors never make it past the earliest stages of the hiring process.
Module #4 – Industry Career Tracks
This module is all about determining exactly what kind of professional career you want and how to fit the right company and the right job to this career, even if you have no idea what kind of job you want right now. You will learn…
The most popular jobs for PhDs in the 5 top industry fields and how to determine which of these positions are a good fit for you and your unique situation. If you are an international PhD, you will learn how to get companies from any country to sponsor a work visa or even a permanent resident card for you.
A detailed career map and a key factor you should consider when determining which is your ideal position and how it compares to other industry positions.
The sought after experience for top PhDs positions such as data scientist, UX researcher, project manager, medical science liaison, and application scientist.
Module #5 – Networking, Info Interviews & Referrals
This module will give you our special “introvert-proof” blueprint for networking and getting job referrals. Here, you will discover…
The essentials of business acumen and corporate strategy so you can start speaking the language of industry, as well as a quick start guide for setting up informational interviews with current industry employees – this guide makes setting up these interviews easy and pain-free.
The two biggest mistakes PhDs make when it comes to networking and why these mistakes prevent PhDs with good professional personas from getting hired in industry.
How to get a job in any city and in any country, no matter what city or country you are from. You’ll receive our complete and proven, step-by-step online networking guide to start getting job referrals for positions in the city and country of your choice.
The 9-points of building up industry credibility before you have a job and using this credibility to get direct job referrals, including our system for getting current industry employees to introduce you directly to recruiters and hiring managers. You do not need to be hyper-communicative to use this system.
Module #6 – Phone, Video & In Person Interviews
This module provides a complete understanding of everything you need to do to confidently execute a phone screen, video interview, and site visit. After you complete this module, you will have all the tools you need to get a job offer. Here, you will get access to…
The Association’s hiring process flowchart that shows you what to expect during a phone screen, video interview, and site visit, as well as how to prepare for each of these steps, including what to say, what questions will definitely be asked, how to dress, how to sound, how to look, what body language to use, and the 3 things you can do to always appear intelligent, professional, and confident
Our proven system for researching and leveraging the right company-specific and job position-specific information you need in order to ask the right questions during your site visit – questions that will leave the right impression with everyone you meet during your interview.
Module #7 – Salary Negotiation
This module will instruct you everything you need to know to show industry employers that you know your value as a PhD so you can negotiate a higher salary and accept the right offer for you. You will discover..
The 7 sequential steps of negotiating a job offer to increase your annual salary by 7% or more. Our current Associates average a 7.8% bump in salary post-negotiation (that’s $5,600 more a year on an $80,000 salary); some have increased their salaries by 15% simply by asking one single question after getting their initial offer.
A complete framework of questions you can ask once you get a job offer to make sure you cover all the aspects of job negotiation and get a higher salary, signing bonus, relocation package, etc.
How to create win-win situations, ensuring that at the end of the negotiation both you and you employer leave the table filling that you won.
Module #8 – Onboarding & Presenting
This module will give you an overview of the onboarding process and the basics of public speaking and industry presentations. Here, you will discern…
The importance of onboarding process, the types most common types of onboarding implemented by different companies, and the best practices you should follow to have a successful onboarding process that guarantees you make a positive impact in your new position.
Why you should know how to speak in public, no matter your target position and some good practices that will help you become a good public speaker.
The 10-point system of crafting the perfect, company-specific presentation, including the 9 pitfalls you need to avoid in order to create a long lasting impact.
We Have An Extensive Portfolio Of Advanced Programs That Focus On Specific Industry Niches
Each Program Has Program Leaders
Each Advanced Program has at least one Program Leader with specific expertise in that Program’s career path and/or specific topic. Whether this expertise involves holding an MBA degree, having MSL experience, being an R&D Director, or having legal experience, your Program Leaders are equipped to personally mentor you.
Each Program Has A Board Of Directors
Each Advanced Program has a Board of Directors and provides you with Board-backed validation once you pass all of the Program’s modular exams. The Programs are validated and offer you education credits. You can place these accolades and references to these continuing education credits on your resume and your LinkedIn profile.
Each Program Is Backed By A Team
Each Advanced Program is backed by the expert support you are used to from our Team Cheeky mentor. Unlike lookalike courses operated by lone wolves as “side hustles”, our Programs provide instant, high-quality support from a full team of industry professionals. Instead of waiting to hear back from one person working part-time, you have the full support of a fast-growing, successful company.
Here Is The Targeted Guidance That You Will Get When You Receive Access To Our Advance Programs
This detailed program is a crash course in business for any PhD who aspires to a management role. If you want access to business mentoring for managing people and departments, this program will equip you. ScientistMBA allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction to critical business concepts. Those who are part of an organization’s upper hierarchy are expected to be business savvy. The ScientistMBA program helps you prove that you belong in the ranks of managers. This course will explain economics, finance, organizational structure, and more.
- Read relevant case studies. Practical application is an essential part of absorbing new information. You’ll find that ScientistMBA provides access to a case study for each module.
- Gain guidance for getting hired into a management position. The ScientistMBA program devotes several of its modules toward landing a position that is NOT an entry-level job. We’ll cover everything from different types of networking to your elevator pitch.
The ScientistMBA course is headed by program leaders Ramya Raman, who holds her PhD and MBA, and has won several awards in business leadership, Becky Papp, who holds an MBA and has worked with many of the worlds fastest growing tech companies, specializing in transforming startups into mid-size private companies with large investors, and Aja Isble, who holds her MSc and MBA and has worked in executive roles at Amgen, Baxter, Shire and Takeda. If you’re a PhD who wants to accelerate how quickly you become a manager, check out this eight-module course.
Are you a PhD with a patent to your name? Have you spent too many years in academia when you could have pursued your passion for merging science with entrepreneurship? If so, you’ll want to explore our PhDCEO program—a course designed for the PhD who desires to transition into the role of a business owner. With this course, you can…
- Discover the startup model that mitigates your risk of failure. You’ve heard the saying, “Most startups fail.” If you’re wondering how to avoid becoming part of a statistic, check out the PhDCEO program. This course will introduce you to a business model that wields the power of the scientific method, making it easier to succeed.
- Learn how to launch your startup…without venture capital. Yes, your PhDCEO course will cover investors (in fact, there’s a whole module devoted to the topic). However, our course is designed to help you become an entrepreneur who doesn’t need to beg investors to back your startup.
- Broaden your understanding on a range of entrepreneurial topics. When you land an industry position, your transition technically ends with accepting your first job. However, when you’re starting a business, you’re effectively creating your transition. This course supports your new role by covering a variety of topics related to entrepreneurship, such as your minimum viable product (MVP) and project management.
In the PhDCEO program, your program leaders will be Isaiah Hankel, PhD, the founder of Cheeky Scientist and bestselling author of two business books, and other startup experts including winners of Startup Weekend awards. Upon becoming a member, you can also discover other PhDs who aspire to be entrepreneurs through your private group.
Are you a PhD who loves research experiments? If so, you likely have a lot of research experience, which gives you the “R” in R&D, but you likely do NOT any development experience whatsoever, whether product development, drug development, business development, or other. This means you are lacking the “D” in R&D. How can you get hired into an R&D position if you are lacking half of the R&D equation?
- Know the difference between research in academia and research in industry. As an R&D scientist, you’ll still leverage your hands-on research background. However, you will have very different goals from those you pursued in academia. This course will help you shift your mindset so you know what to expect and how to align yourself with the objectives of a potential employer.
- Learn how to prepare yourself for interacting with R&D companies. Let the R&D Society prepare you to handle a phone interview, deliver a presentation, and more. Your course will help you better understand the expectations of an interviewing organization.
- Discover how you can mature in your career—wondering what lies beyond securing your first R&D position? You’ll discover other industry jobs to consider as well as R&D trends.
The R&D Society is headed up by your program leader Nathalie Fiaschi, PhD who is an Associate Director at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest and most successful pharma companies in the world (thanks in part to a PhD who came in as Regeneron’s CEO and build the company to fame), and Elliott Brecht, PhD, a Senior Scientist at Genentech who has traveled the world working with R&D professionals on advanced research and business concepts. If you’re ready to put your laboratory background to work for a better cause than pleasing your PI, the R&D Society can help.
Medical Science Liaison Alliance
Are you a driven PhD who thrives on science and person-to-person interactions with PhDs, MDs and other Key Opinion Leaders or KOLs? Can you deliver an informative, accurate scientific presentation…and then find yourself surrounded by a knot of other colleagues who enjoy your charismatic personality? Let the MSL Alliance acquaint you with a career that capitalizes upon your knack for building relationships and satisfies your thirst for scientific innovation.
- Understand key MSL terminology you should know. As with any profession, there are important terms you need to get familiar with if you want to be an MSL. If you desire to make a good impression with decision-makers, this course will help you begin to acquire the MSL’s vocabulary.
- Discover an MSL’s responsibilities. The MSL position may look radically different from the roles and responsibilities you’ve had in academia. As an MSL, you’ll need to keep your knowledge up to date, cultivate communication with key opinion leaders, and more.
- Learn the process for bringing a medical therapy to market. As an MSL, it’s important to have a solid grasp of the clinical trials involved in medical therapies. If you’re unfamiliar with clinical trials, the MSLA will help you understand the “behind the scenes” of medical drugs.
For the MSL Alliance, your program leaders will be Yuri Klyachkin, PhD, a Senior Regional Medical Science Liaison for Celgene and Elizabeth Jeanne Thatcher, PhD, a Field Medical Science Liaison Director at Pfizer. If you’re passionate about being part of the leading edge of science—and seeing your scientific expertise have a positive impact—you’ll want to give the MSL Alliance serious consideration.
International PhD Community
International PhD Community
If you are an international PhD who wants to work in the US but are not a US citizen—getting hired in industry becomes more challenging. As you look to transition, you might struggle to understand which route you should take to stay in the U.S….or how to move past your immigration status when it comes to employers. If you’re a PhD who needs guidance, use this course to…
- Get clarity on which industry companies are currently hiring expats and get clarity on the various visas available to you. Would you find it hard to explain F-1 visas, J-1 visas, and H-1B visas to a fellow PhD? Then, you might have difficulty helping an organization understand your situation. If the immigration process seems like wading through an alphabet soup, let the International PhD Community help you understand the characteristics of the visas covered in your course.
- Get personalized advice from a variety of top immigration lawyers in the U.S., as well as other expats already working in industry. One PhD may want to pursue an H-1B visa. Another PhD may decide that the EB-1 visa is the better choice given his or her circumstances. After going through the International PhD course, you’ll have key information to select the option that provides the best chance for staying in the US.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the immigration process and the advantages you have as an expat, so you can explain the process simply to employers, thereby relieving their stress and uncertainty about hiring you. There’s a chance that your future employer isn’t well acquainted with the US immigration process. As an international PhD, it’s your job to be your employer’s trusted resource. This course will empower you to bridge any information gaps an interviewing organization might have.
Brian Getson, JD, an immigration lawyer and Partner at Getson & Schatz, Arunodoy Sur, PhD, a Business Analyst and Technology Licensing Officer at Nova Southeastern, and Rupsa Basu, PhD a Research Scientist at TechnoVax are the program leaders of the International PhD Community. By going through this program, you’ll make progress toward learning about US immigration, choosing the best path forward, and accurately communicating about the immigration process with organizations interested in you as a candidate.
Medical Writing Organization
Are you a PhD who’s known for your proficiency with the written word? Do you stand out from other PhDs because writing research papers is second nature? If so, you’ll want to explore this six-module mentoring program. The MWO allows you to…
- Discover what experience matters for the medical writing profession. Not every PhD is qualified to become a medical writer. In this program, you’ll learn about the important competencies that should be in your toolbox. (Hint: You’ll learn that having English as your first language isn’t one of them.)
- Get exercises to prepare you for your future career. When you join the MWO, your learning experience won’t simply be an exercise in abstract thinking—it will also involve a heuristic element. The MWO includes realistic medical writing (and editing) assignments. These provide a practical look at the medical writing industry while helping you gain some much-needed experience.
- See what insiders have to say. Are you eager to glean information from other medical writers about what it’s like to work in this industry? Your course includes commentary from those with experience in medical writing, and your private group will include medical-writing PhDs.
When you join the MWO, your program leader will be Evguenia Alechine, PhD, ELS, a European and American Medical Writing Association speaker and team leader, Anand Devasthanam, PhD, a Medical Writer at Parexel, and Clare Chang, PhD, a Medical Writer at dMed Pharmaceuticals. If you’re ready to enter a profession that allows your communication proclivity to more fully flourish, use the MWO to boost your confidence and begin targeting medical writing positions.
Project Management Consortium
This detailed program is a crash course in project management for PhDs who aspire to a Project Manager role or want to showcase their Project Management knowledge in different industry positions. If you want access to targeted content about managing projects in industry, you’ll want to explore this program. The PMC allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction to critical project management concepts. You will explore the phases of a project, what you have to take into account to prevent your projects from failing, and the most common methodologies and tools to manage projects in industry.
- Discover project manager responsibilities. What are the main tasks that project managers do on a daily basis? In the PMC, you’ll learn the abilities that project managers need to be successful. You might think that managing projects in industry is completely different from doing research in academia, but this program will help you showcase your current knowledge to industry hiring managers.
- Understand what your career progression will look like once you gain project management experience. Industry experience as a project manager will open many doors in your career. The PMC will walk you through all of your options so that you can have a fulfilling career.
The PMC is led by Orly Levitan, PhD, award-winning instructor and Senior Project Manager at HYGIEACARE Inc. If you’re interested in leading important initiatives and harnessing team dynamics to accomplish company goals, you’ll want to get access to the Consortium right now.
Application Scientist Assembly
Are you a driven PhD who thrives on science and interactions with diverse audiences including researchers, lay people, and business decision makers? Are you the person in the lab that others go to for troubleshooting? Do you find yourself surrounded by people because others enjoy your charismatic personality?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you would make a fantastic Application Scientist. Application Scientists are customer-facing technical experts who serve as liaisons between biotech companies and those who rely on their products. Let the ASA prepare you for this career that capitalizes upon your knack for building relationships and satisfies your thirst for scientific innovation.
- Learn about the different types of Application Scientists and what their work days look like. The Application Scientist position allows you to leverage the experience that you developed during your time in academia. As an Application Scientist, you’ll need to keep your knowledge up-to-date, communicate with customers, and more.
- Understand key Application Scientist terminology. As with any profession, there are essential terms you need to get familiar with if you want to be an Application Scientist. This course will help you acquire the Application Scientist vocabulary so you can make a good impression on decision-makers.
- Learn how to succeed in the Application Scientist hiring process and what career progression can look like once you land your first Application Scientist role. The ASA shows you how to set up your job search strategy to find the position that is best for you. It also covers the many vertical and horizontal moves that a role as an Application Scientist will open for you.
The ASA program leader is Alex Woychek, PhD, MPH, award-winning expert in molecular biology, cell culture, and microscopy and Field Application Scientist at Akoya Biosciences. Through the program, you’ll get all the insider insights from Alex and the other current industry Application Scientists on the ASA Board you need to break into the Application Scientist industry. These insights are exclusive to the ASA. You won’t find this information anywhere else.
If you’re passionate about being part of the leading edge of science—and seeing your scientific expertise have a positive impact—you’ll want to give the ASA serious consideration.
Regulatory Affairs Council
This detailed program is a crash course in regulatory affairs for PhDs who aspire to work with regulations either in a private company of a government agency. If you want access to targeted content about the regulatory affairs field, you’ll want to explore this program. The RAC allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction to the regulatory affairs industry. You will explore what regulatory affairs is and what the role of a regulatory affairs specialist encompasses. You will also go through the steps necessary to get products approved and how regulatory affairs professionals influence each of those steps.
- Discover the responsibilities of regulatory affairs professionals. What are the main tasks that regulatory affairs specialists do on a daily basis? In the RAC, you’ll learn about the background that regulatory affairs specialists need to be successful. You will also go through the day-to-day tasks of regulatory affairs specialists a how these are different if you work for a company or for the government.
- Understand what your career progression will look like once you gain regulatory experience. Industry experience as a regulatory affairs specialist will open many doors in your career. The RAC will walk you through all of your options so that you can have a fulfilling career.
The RAC is led by Rebba Boswell-Casteel, PhD, Evidence Evaluation Manager at Smith & Nephew. If you want to ensure that safe and effective products reach the market by safeguarding regulatory compliance, you’ll want to get access to the Council right now.
Data Scientist Syndicate
If you want to help companies make data-driven decisions and interpret their data to get valuable insights, then you’ll want to take a look into this six-module program. The DSS allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction into the field of data science, understand why this field is so hot right now, and learn about the main positions available in this field. The DSS explores how data scientists can impact different industries and the abilities they need to be successful in industry. Most of the knowledge you have already developed during grad school.
- You’ll learn about the most relevant program languages and tools used by data scientists today. The program explores top-of-the-line tools used by data scientists in different fields and gives you resources you can use to learn them.
- Learn how to prepare yourself for interacting with companies hiring data scientists. Let the Data Scientist Syndicate prepare you to create your portfolio, deal with take-home assignments, and much more. The course will help you better understand the expectations of an interviewing organization.
Program leaders in the Data Scientist Syndicate include Kasey Hemington, PhD,Data Scientist at Canada Post; and Shobeir K.S. Mazinani, PhD, Senior Data Scientist at Aetna. If you’re passionate about using the scientific method to back up your decisions with data, you’ll want to give the Data Scientist Syndicate serious consideration.
PhD Negotiation League
Are you a PhD who understands the importance of professional negotiation, but you feel uncomfortable negotiating? Or maybe you feel that you will never be successful in a professional negotiation setting. If so, you should give the PNL a look. PNL allows PhDs to…
- Understand the basics of negotiation—what it is and why it matters. This program will give you detailed information about professional deal making and how this skill can play a significant role in your career satisfaction and progression – you will become a better negotiator.
- Review the most relevant negotiation tactics that you can use in a professional setting and the behaviors that reliably make the other side like you, increasing your chances of success.
- Go through specific scripts that will allow you to practice negotiating in different situations so you can enter your real life negotiation prepared and confident.
The PhD Negotiation League is led by Don Asher, PhD, world-renowned business executive, expert negotiator, and bestselling author of 10 different career development books. If you’re interested in learning how to expertly negotiate salary contracts and make bigger and bigger deals as you climb the corporate ladder, you’ll want to get access to the League.
Management Consulting Firm
This program is designed explicitly for PhDs who want to transition into management consulting. This program will show you everything you need to know to leverage the background you gained in grad school during the consulting hiring process. MCF allow PhDs to…
- Understand how the management consulting industry works and what you should expect your day-to-day to look like once you become a management consultant.
- Get familiar with the consulting hiring process and all of its components. You’ll learn how to prepare for the case and the fit interview so you wow employers and get hired.
- Learn how to approach a case study. The program will show you the parts of a case interview and how you should practice them before applying to management consultant roles.
The MCF program is headed by program leader James Wadsworth, a former management consultant at McKinsey & Co, who has extensive experience coaching consulting candidates. If you’re a PhD who wants to enter the consulting world, you should check out this laser-focused program.
Clinical Research Coalition
This detailed program is a crash course in clinical research for PhDs who aspire to work with clinical trials either in the operations or the development arm. If you want access to targeted content about the clinical research field, you’ll want to explore this program. The CRC allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction to the clinical development industry. You will explore what clinical research is and what the roles of different clinical research professionals encompass. You will also go through the steps necessary to design and carry out clinical trials and how clinical research professionals influence each of those steps.
- Discover the responsibilities of clinical research professionals. What are the main tasks that clinical research professionals perform on a daily basis? In the CRC, you’ll learn the background that clinical research professionals need to be successful. You will also go through the day-to-day tasks of clinical research professionals a how these are different if you work in operations or development.
- Understand what your career progression will look like once you gain clinical research experience. Industry experience as a clinical research professional will open many doors in your career. The CRC will walk you through your options so that you can have a fulfilling career.
The Clinical Research Coalition is led by Monika Vinish, PhD, a CRA II at Syneos Health and a board of other top Clinical Research Associates and Scientists. If you want to ensure the development of the best possible clinical trials, you’ll want to get access to the CRC right now.
Interdisciplinary PhD Guild
The Interdisciplinary PhD Guild is the number 1 industry job search informative platform, and PhD-only industry job referral network targeted explicitly to Interdisciplinary PhDs.
If you want to access materials to help you transition into industry created by and for Interdisciplinary PhDs, this program will equip you. IPG allows Interdisciplinary PhDs to…
- Understand why Interdisciplinary PhDs should consider leaving academia and why the experience you developed during grad school are so valuable to industry hiring managers. This program will show you how to set up a transition plan that you can use to change your mindset and get hired.
- Explore relevant industry positions where Interdisciplinary PhDs can transition into and excel at. IPG also covers relevant transferable abilities that every Interdisciplinary PhDs has and are coveted in industry.
- Gain guidance for getting hired into your target position. From learning how to create a complete LinkedIn profile and how to network to preparing for job interviews, the IPG will show you everything you need to know to set up a successful job search strategy.
The IPG program is headed by program leaders Regina Gonda – a PhD in environmental archeology, currently working as a business development manager at UX studio – and Christopher Lirette – a PhD in American studies, currently working as a senior user experience researcher at the Home Depot. If you’re a Interdisciplinary PhD who wants to accelerate how quickly you get a fulfilling industry position, you need to check out this program.
Business Development Federation
Are you a driven PhD who thrives on getting to know how companies work and interacting with diverse departments, including marketing, product development, and management? Do you want to leave the research bench behind and get involved with the business side of things? Do you find yourself surrounded by people because others enjoy your charismatic personality?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you would make a fantastic Business Developer. Business Developers are experts that strategize pipelines for companies on their business-to-business and business-to-clients relationships. Let the BDF prepare you for this career that capitalizes upon your knack for building relationships and satisfies your thirst for understanding business and sales cycles.
- Learn about the different companies that hire business developers and what a day of work looks like for these professionals. The Business Developer position allows you to leverage many abilities that you developed during your time in academia and learn some new and exciting abilities.
- Understand key Business Development terminology. As with any profession, there are essential terms you need to get familiar with if you want to be a Business Developer. This course will help you acquire the Business vocabulary you need to make a good impression on decision-makers.
If you’re passionate about being part of the most strategic business decisions—and seeing your expertise have a positive impact in companies within different industries—you’ll want to give the BDF serious consideration.
User Experience Squad
If you want to serve as the liaison between companies and users and help create products that offer enjoyable experiences, then you’ll want to take a look into this four-module program. The UXS allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction into the field of user experience, understand why this field is so hot right now, and learn about the main positions available in this field and how they interact with different departments of the company. The UXS explores how User Experience (UX) Researchers can impact different industries and the foundation they need to excel at their jobs. You will notice that you have already developed most of this understanding during grad school.
- You’ll learn about the most relevant research methods and tools used by UX Researchers today. The program explores top-of-the-line tools used by UX Researchers in different fields and gives you the resources to succeed in UX.
- Learn how to prepare yourself for interacting with companies hiring UX Researchers. Let the User Experience Squad prepare you to create your portfolio, deal with case studies and research plans, and much more. The course will help you better understand the expectations of an interviewing organization.
If you’re passionate about using your research background to help innovative and user-centered products come to market, you’ll want to give the User Experience Squad serious consideration.
Engineering PhD Circle
The Engineering PhD Circle is the number 1 industry job search informative platform, and PhD-only industry job referral network targeted explicitly to Engineering PhDs.
If you want to access materials to help you transition into industry created by and for Engineering PhDs, this program will equip you. EPC allows Engineering PhDs to…
- Gain insights into why Engineering PhDs are so valuable in industry and what are the most relevant experience they should highlight. This program will show you how to set up a transition plan that you can use to change your mindset and get hired into your dream position.
- Explore relevant industry positions where Engineering PhDs can transition into and excel at. EPC also covers the importance of the skill set – including transferable, technical, and personal savvy – that Engineering PhDs should highlight to showcase their value during an industry job search process.
- Gain guidance for getting hired into your target position. From learning how to create a complete LinkedIn profile and how to network to preparing for job interviews, the EPC will show you everything you need to know to set up a successful job search strategy.
If you’re an Engineering PhD who wants to accelerate your path to a fulfilling industry position, you need to check out this program.
Intellectual Property Pack
This detailed program is a crash course in intellectual property (IP) for PhDs who aspire to work in the IP field or want to showcase their Intellectual Property knowledge in different industry positions. If you want access to targeted content about what IP entails and how it affects different products and industries, you’ll want to explore this program. The IPP allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction to critical intellectual property concepts. You will explore the different types of intellectual property – patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc – and the implications for each type.
- Discover PhD-level positions within IP, such as patent agent and technology transfer. What are the main tasks that these professionals do on a daily basis? In the IPP, you’ll learn the foundations that IP professionals need to be successful.
- Understand what the hiring process looks like for PhD-level positions in IP and how to navigate all steps in the hiring process. Industry experience in the IP field will open many doors in your career. The IPP will walk you through all of your options so that you can have a fulfilling career.
If you’re interested in playing an active role in ensuring the innovative products hit the market while protecting the intellectual property of the companies that develop those products, you’ll want to get access to the Pack right now.
Product Management Group
This detailed program is a crash course in product management for PhDs who aspire to a Product Manager role or want to showcase their knowledge of product lifecycle in different industry positions. If you want access to targeted content about how companies in different industries develop and market products, you’ll want to explore this program. The PMG allows PhDs to…
- Get an introduction to critical product management concepts. You will explore the phases of a product lifecycle, all the stakeholders Product Managers need to communicate with, and the hoe the role of a product manager is different from other management positions like project management.
- Discover product manager responsibilities. What are the main tasks that product managers do on a daily basis? In the PMG, you’ll learn the foundations that product managers need to be successful. You might think that developing innovative products in industry is completely different from innovating in academia, but this program will help you showcase your current experience to industry hiring managers.
- Understand what your career progression will look like once you gain product management experience. Industry experience as a product manager will open many doors in your career. The PMG will walk you through all of your options so that you can have a fulfilling career.
Government Careers Union
This detailed program is a crash course in the opportunities that different government divisions offer to PhDs no matter their background. If you want access to targeted content about the government field, you’ll want to explore this program. The GCU allows PhDs to…
- Explore the unique features that differentiate government from academia and the private sector. You will explore what is the goal of government institutions and what they look for in their employees. You will also go into detail about the different PhD-level positions that are available in the government.
- Discover the responsibilities of and skill set required for each of these positions and what government divisions offer each of them.
- Understand the difference between applying for a position in the government and in the private sector and get insider tips on how to improve your government applications. The GCU will walk you through all of your options so that you can have a fulfilling career.
If you want to help the public sector guarantee the safety of all citizens, you’ll want to get access to the Union right now.
Since creating Cheeky Scientist, I have been involved firsthand in helping many PhD transition into their dream positions. I have seen them become research scientists, medical writers, consultants, and more.
Unfortunately, for various reasons, some PhDs don’t complete their CSA Silver Program. I don’t blame them – they don’t have accountability, and they miss out on the very activities needed to propel them into industry.
I also realize that some PhDs could use a helping hand to overcome disappointments, setbacks, unique challenges, and critical situations—with confidence, fresh insights, or accountability.
If you recognize yourself in the challenges that I’m describing, my advice is this: give The Association Diamond a try.
Get Access to a network of like-minded PhDs and a proven blueprint that will help you set up a successful transition plan. this is what The Association Diamond offers PhDs
At the same time, take advantage of the personalized guidance and advice that you’ll get.
Experience what it’s like to sit in on a meeting with me. See what it’s like to send us your messages and voice messages in the Whatsapp goup. Feel the difference that having accountability makes.
Let me give you a push so you can get past the finish line.
Isaiah Hankel, PhD, Founder and CEO Of Cheeky Scientist.
The Association Diamond Provides Support for PhDs Facing Special Challenges, Including…
- PhDs who’ve hit a sticking point. You’ve tried to follow the Cheeky Scientist methodology, but you’re not getting the traction you’d like.
- PhDs with a rare academic background. While other PhDs were majoring in life sciences or engineering, you chose a specialized, less-popular focus for your research. You feel that this creates additional hurdles for you in your job search that other Cheeky Scientist Associates may not face.
- PhDs who need a US VISA. You’re finding that it’s tough to secure opportunities because of your VISA situation. To land a position, you’re realizing you need an extra dose of confidence, creativity, and discipline.
- PhDs located in a remote geographic area. You don’t reside in Silicon Valley or Cambridge-Boston. Instead, you work in a less-populated area that isn’t a technology hub. As a result, effective networking and/or landing a job in your region seems complex or even impossible.
- PhDs facing a make it or break it situation. You’re about to enter your first phone screening, site visit, or pivotal interview. You realize that the outcome of this event can either accelerate your transition or lengthen your stay in academia.
- PhDs who are scarred from their time in academia. Your academic environment fostered discouragement, perfectionism, cynicism, and/or imposter syndrome. Gaining back your confidence has been a struggle, and your transition has suffered because of it.
- PhDs who are in a time crunch. You’re attempting to faithfully work your way through the materials. But thanks to your postdoc research or graduation schedule, you’re having to rush your Cheeky Scientist homework.
- PhDs who’ve experienced a crushing disappointment. You thought you were one step away from starting your dream job. But that final interview fell through…or that job offer never materialized.
An Overview Of The Layers Of Support You’ll Receive
Live Video Meetings With Isaiah Hankel, PhD, Vinojini Nair, PhD & Our Team Of Consultants
- Discover Data That Informs Your Job Search Efforts. The Association Diamond gives you an opportunity to be in a live meeting with Isaiah Hankel and Vinojini Nair. These calls aren’t pre-recorded sessions or webinars. Instead, you’ll have the opportunity to listen to Isaiah and Vinojini cover relevant topics in real-time.
- Stay accountable. Enjoy a structure for implementing key transition activities. Your meetings will include instruction—as well as homework you need to complete.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at Team Cheeky KPIs. As a transitioning PhD, you probably wish you had a deeper understanding of the job market. The Association Diamond will give you access to this information to bolster your job search efforts. Team Cheeky closely monitors data on the job market and we will share this data with you in the meetings. We might discuss new job titles that recently surfaced worldwide, a relevant merger/acquisition, and any other relevant trends in the job market.
- Generate fresh ideas for your transition. If your job search is unusually challenging, you might need help thinking outside of the box. Take advantage of our meetings to find creative ways to move forward. During the calls, you may learn about a job search strategies that is a great fit for your situation, job opportunities that just opened up, or even an innovation that might create new opportunities for someone with your experience.
Personalized One-On-One Consulting & Accountability Documents
- Establish your specific goals and the next steps you want to take in your transition and identify the obstacles you are facing during your job search by filling out the intake form. This will help you come up with a personalized road map that you will follow during the upcoming weeks.
- The form will also provide our team of consultants with detailed information about your specific situation and how we can help you overcome your unique roadblocks to get your job search back on track.
- With this information, we will have a better idea of where to focus our attention during the meetings.
Personalized “Next Session” Workbooks
- Use the Next Session workbook to record the measurable actions you want to accomplish each week and the accomplishment you achieved the week before. This will help track your progress. More importantly, it will help you establish achievable, short-term goals that will add up to your long-term goals before you know it. These are the keys to being accountable.
- During the meetings with Isaiah and Vinojini, you will review the Next Session workbooks and discuss which next steps are more likely to get tangible results.
- The information recorded in your workbook will allow our team to provide you with personalized advice and make the right decisions.
Access To Our International WhatsApp Accountability Group
- Communicate with our team using a highly popular app. The Association Diamond gives you access to a private group. You can communicate with our consultants and other members via WhatsApp.
- Receive one check-in each weekday. Our private group is very active, and our team posts multiple times each day. However, in our WhatsApp group, The Association Diamond members are given the one piece of career advice they need to focus on at each check-in.
- Enjoy a same-day answer guarantee. When you send us a question on WhatsApp, we will reply to your comments on the same day.
- Interact with a smaller group. Right now, the Association consists of over 15,000 members. While that means more PhDs are getting access, it also means the private group is constantly growing. The Association Diamond offers you a much more intimate group to with which to interact.
If Your Challenges Seem Bigger Than Your Current Job Search Knowledge & Confidence, Consider That…
There’s No Cookie-Cutter PhD Experience
Maybe you know several PhDs who got offers in industry while they were still in academia.
Maybe you are experiencing the challenge of needing an employer-sponsored VISA before you can begin your new position.
Or perhaps the experiences of PhDs who’ve landed jobs in biotech, pharma, and other STEM-focused organizations don’t mirror your situation. Your doctorate is in education or history—and you know that your career path is going to look different.
The fact is, there isn’t a cookie-cutter formula for landing your first industry job, but there are certain common experiences.
There is not one single trajectory for getting an organization to recognize your value and hire you, but there are some general steps that you can take to get closer to the coveted industry position.
To get over the finish line, you need strong foundations, but if you are facing specific challenges, having fresh insights will make all the difference.
The Association Diamond Offers A Blueprint That Will Change You Academic Mindset And Help You Talk The Language Of Industry And Will Provide The One-on-one Guidance You Need To Overcome Your Specific Challenges.
Join The Association Diamond to say “no” to the status quo of academia and “yes” to a better career. The Association will give you access to material developed specifically to help PhDs transition out of academia and a network of over 15,000 PhDs located in over 150 countries.
But let’s face it.
The guidance in our Association materials will only take you so far.
It’s your job to put yourself in the best possible position to overcome your obstacles. That means being diligent about working through your learning materials. It means rolling up your sleeves to follow up with contacts. It means employing your networking scripts.
No one can do the hard work for you.
What can help is having extra support to stay on track with following the Cheeky Scientist methodology.
It’s Critical to Focus on Your Top Priorities
For some PhDs, being diligent isn’t the biggest challenge.
But that can be a struggle when you’re working against a ticking clock.
You might have experienced unemployment so long that your window of time to make a transition is shrinking. Or you may be engrossed in hours of research, trying to keep your PI happy.
In that case, having Isaiah Hankel and out team of consultants help you set up a personalized job search strategy during the weekly one-hour calls can make all the difference.
The Association Diamond guarantees you get hired into your target position in as little time as possible
The Association Diamond Helps You Put Your Job Search Strategy In Place.
The Association Diamond’s 12-week course is a laser-focused program that will give you the tools you need to create a job search strategy that works specifically for you.
During the meetings, we will give you constant support and will help you remain accountable.
Call days and times will be determined based on the incoming cohort. All locations and time zones are welcome and all will be considered.
Our membership allows you to request support based on your needs, your location, and your schedule.
When You Sign Up For The Association Diamond, You Will Get Additional Layers Of Support That Are Exclusive For You.
You probably know, firsthand, that transitioning into industry isn’t an overnight process.
Going from academic postdoc to industry professional can take months of honing your abilities, persistently networking, and aggressively pursuing all opportunities before you.
Securing a position takes patience.
In contrast, joining The Association Diamond gives you access to multiple benefits in a very short time frame.
With The Association Diamond, there’s a small gap between signing up for our membership and beginning to reap the benefits of our support.
You’ll get same-day answers via WhatsApp.
You’ll get access to a personalized dashboard with never-before-offered resources.
You will get access to our meetings once the new cohort starts.
While you’re waiting for your future career to materialize, you’ll enjoy regular, responsive support from the Cheeky Scientist team to keep you on track.
Here’s the Targeted Guidance You’ll Receive...
Introduction & Strategic Organization
- Value of meeting in small groups – held accountable in your job search
- Establish background, specific position you’re looking for and challenges/obstacles getting to these positions
- Job search strategy spreadsheet – Identify companies you want to work for, identify people who work in those companies, when last connected and when next to connect. Make an excel sheet – your job search strategy spreadsheet: company, position, contact, second contact, last time connected, next time connected – put on your calendar so that you can keep track. Goal: to have 3-4 interviews/week
- Company search – search by location, size (small or midsize), company type, company reviews
- Scripts to connect with someone and streamline into informational interview/referral
- Scripts to get a mutual connection to introduce you to someone on LinkedIn
- Homework: prioritizing the top 30 companies and reaching out to people working there
- Using the Members’ Directory
- If you don’t know the target company/title, focus on target company first because titles are not consistent across different companies
- Deliverable: Prepare job search strategy excel sheet and prioritize the top 10 companies and contacts to reach out to
Network Prioritization & Job Referrals
- Establish patterns to your job search
- Job search strategy spreadsheet
- Introduce: Straight line referral strategy
- “Covering” – find job titles similar to the positions you’re after and your safety position – many companies have different titles
- Challenge Q&A: how many Associates are uncomfortable reaching out to people?
- Flash task – a couple of sentences to reach out to people. The power of “next” if people don’t reply.
- Establishing how to find emails of connections
- How to reach out effectively
- How to add value to gain a referral
- Networking scripts
- Scripts for informational interviews
- How to handle “rejections” from networking?
- Exercise: Walk Us Through The Top 5-10 Lines Of Your Job Search Strategy Spreadsheet
- Deliverable: Reach out to the top 5 prioritized people on your spreadsheet and get a reply from at least two of them. Reach out to more people as needed until you get 2 replies.
Straight Line Referral Strategy & Informational Interview Deep Dive
- Framework to straight-line referrals + informational interviews
- How to speak to senior vs junior manager
- Informational interview – 4-step strategy from cold contact to informational interview
- Level 1: Casual
- Level 2: Personal
- Level 3: Landscape
- Level 4: Job lead
- Challenge: Reach out to 10 people/day. Goal, reach out to 30 people/day. Prioritize the top 5 people.
- Negative behavioral questions are about seeing how you handle stressful situations
- Positive behavioral questions are about seeing how you can handle cross-functional situations
- STAR method – opportunity to tell a convincing story
- Unique Selling Proposition
- Pre-interview questions
- In-interview questions
- Priming Interview questions
- Post-interview questions
- Exercise: Share the 5 messages you sent out and at least one contact replied
- Deliverable: Set up and execute at least one informational interview and record your questions and their answers
Elevator Pitch Practice & Unique Selling Proposition Diagrams
- STAR – Put an example position and company
- Examples of questions:
- Q1: Why should we hire you over other candidates?
- Q2: We’re looking for someone with a leadership quality, what makes you the right candidate for this job?
- Q3: You’re the first PhD we’re hiring. We’re concerned about why you’re leaving academia after some time. Tell us, why you’re committed to industry and what can you bring to the table?
- Q4: Why do you want to work in this company and what assets can you bring to this company over the other companies?
- Q5: You’re the first PhD to apply for this role. Doesn’t seem you have a lot of industry experience. How do you know this role is right for you and what can you do for this position?
- Craft Unique Selling Proposition
- Exercise: Walk Us Through Your Informational Interview
- Deliverable: Practice elevator pitch incorporating Unique Selling Proposition for next call
Higher Quality LinkedIn Profiles
- Strategies for LinkedIn
- Flexibility, performance management, personal development, and virtual mentoring
- Persuasive phrases: use of specific phrases during economic times
- People, systems, and self-oriented knowledge – employers are focused on these 3 sections. During a recession use phrases like “protect your job” vs during economic boom, “elevate your job search”
- During disrupted times, need to highlight flexibility and show certainty
- Include the above as starting points to bullet points
- Headline: job title, location, experience
- Work experience
- Volunteer experience
- Endorsements and recommendations
- Exercise: Read out your Elevator Pitch & Walk Us Through Your USP Diagram
- Deliverable: Update LinkedIn profile headline, “work” experience, volunteer experience, endorsements & get/give 2 reviews
Resume Updates & Higher Quality Bullet Points
- Name, contact information
- Professional Summary
- Work Experience
- Walkthrough bullet point creation (live examples)
- Exercise: Walk Us Through Your LinkedIn Profile Updates
- Deliverable: Update bullet points for Professional Summary & Work Experience Section
Phone Screens & Mock Audio Interviews
- Phone screen questions
- Get experience on audio calls, without video on
- Some examples to work on:
- Tell me a little bit about yourself and why you’re interested in this position
- Looks like you’ve been in academia for a while, when did you decide to get into position X and why now, why you want to leave academia now and do you plan to go back?
- What do you know about the commercialization part of this role – it seems you have a lot of experience with research – tell me what do you know about product maturity and commercialization
- We are opening up a number positions here, are you open to other positions
- What are your salary expectations
- How much small talk is good?
- Elevate your elevator pitch to your unique selling proposition. Don’t talk in terms of years of experience unless you have results immediately following
- How to get over the first “hurdle” of phone screen?
- How to mirror the questioner?
- Some very experienced HR person will avoid technicality in their first question/tell stories
- Always go back to knowledge, results and why that company/prepared me to get to this position (STAR) – if asked more example
- Exercise: Walk Us Through Your Resume Updates
- Deliverable: Practice list of common phone screen questions
Mock Video Interviews & Behavioral Interview Deep Dive
- Each Associate gives elevator pitch incorporating unique selling proposition
- Some behavioral questions to go over: weakness & conflict are the biggest questions – but remember the positive questions too
- How to prepare for and ace behavioral questions
- What are the most common behavioral questions in a job interview
- How to create strong answers to behavioral questions
- What to do if you don’t know the answer
- Why industry interviews rely on behavioral questions to hire top candidates
- Exercise: Answer audio-only interview questions (Mock Phone Screen – Usually 2-3 Questions)
- Deliverable: work on the list of behavioral questions and incorporate feedback into respective answers
Site Visit Preparation & Incorporating Business Acumen
- How business flow/company is structured
- Flexibility to be open to other roles that call for professional experience similar to target position
- #2 on article – commercialization. Delivery and distribution. Strategy. Go/bring it to market strategy – transition between development and bringing it into the market.
- Corporate Strategy
- Basics to project management and people management
- Cash flow/cash burn – how to ensure staying within budget
- Exercise: Answer 1-2 Video Interview Behavioral Question
- Deliverable: Craft a 3 slide presentation
Interview Presentation Design
- Feedback of presentation
- Video presentations, do’s and don’ts – good audio, good background, good light on your face
- Establish an audience
- Flow of presentation/slides + target audience and position
- What is the theme across all 3 slides? Close the story and theme of the presentation
- Exercise: Present Interview Presentation
- Deliverable: Update Job Search Spreadsheet Strategy and LinkedIn profile (endorsements & recommendations)
Mock Interview Presentations & Higher Quality Slides
- Presentation should incorporate Unique Selling Proposition
- Relevant to technical (Directors/team lead) and non-technical (HR) audiences
- Flow of slides according to length of presentation
- Exercise: Present Updated Interview Presentation
- Deliverable: incorporate suggestions from current presentations and prepare for live presentations into the private group
Live Interview Presentation Prep, Review & Wrap Up
- Live stream of live presentation into the group
- Personalized feedback in private – inflection, tone, personality, timed presentation, audio connection, looking at the camera
- What changed in your job search strategy/what’s changed to who you’re contacting
- What challenges you have
- Are you open to new positions/locations. Give pointers to Associates on which positions they can go with.
- Exercise: Present Interview Presentation Live
- Deliverable: Final Interview Presentation